CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) - The University of North Carolina will pay college costs for low-income students who work on-campus jobs in what is believed to be the nation's first such program.
The Carolina Covenant program, to start this fall, would require eligible students to work on campus 10 to 12 hours a week in a federal work-study job through their four years, UNC officials said Wednesday.
Federal and state grants now cover 65 percent of a student's need as determined through an application for financial aid, said Shirley Ort, UNC's director of scholarships and student aid. Under the program, UNC would pay the remaining 35 percent of a student's college costs provided they perform the work-study assignment, she said.
UNC-Chapel Hill is believed to be the first public university in the nation to outline such a policy, said David Ward, president of the American Council on Education, a Washington, D.C.-based membership organization of college presidents.
UNC program to help low income students pay bills
Published: Fri Oct 03, 2003 | Modified: Sat Aug 06, 2005 05:26 p.m.