1854: The original market was established in the area now called Market Square.
1880s: Fiddling contests were held on the square. Many regarded these events as one of the origins of country music.
1897: The Market House was constructed. The Market House served as a station for local farmers to bring produce and sell them to local citizens.
1954: A recording by Elvis Presley is discovered by RCA in a record shop in Market Square.
1959: The Market House burns down.
1960: Remaining pieces of The Market House are torn down.
1986: The city dismantles the urban renewal area and replaced the idea of a mall with a town square. The name "Market Square" is adopted.
November 2002: The Knoxville City Council approves the renovation and redevelopment of Market Square.
November 2003: The grand opening is held for Market Square.
April 2004: Famous concert series Sundown in the City makes its return to Market Square.
Source: Jack Neely, The Metro Pulse
Market Square Time Line
Published: Wed Apr 07, 2004 | Modified: Sat Aug 06, 2005 06:02 p.m.